Caution: Your Sophie the Giraffe Teether Might Just Be Full of Mold

If you own a Sophie the Giraffe, as I am sure many moms do, you might want to open it and check for mold. This popular teething toy has recently come under the spotlight as a safety concern for babies. A recent review by one Mom on Amazon led to many other Moms also complaining about the same thing. In the review this Mom wrote:

“Beware!! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you’ll end up with mold! We’ve had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold!

Update 1/17- Due to the increased interest in this review, I thought I would elaborate. I am a neat freak. I clean everything more often than I probably should. I have pipe cleaning brushes to clean my kids’ sippy cups. I don’t have squeeze-y toys in the bathtub. I did not put hot glue over the hole, because that pops right out if it’s chewed enough and it would’ve become a choking hazard. I know how to clean. I spot cleaned Sophie following the directions. She never went in the tub, dishwasher or a boiling pot of water as all of those methods would’ve obviously gotten more water in the hole. This mold growth was due to excessively drooly babies using it for over two years for it’s intended purpose- a teething toy. I realize this will not be everyone’s experience, but it was mine.”




I think we can all confirm that if your child is teething, there is drool EVERYWHERE. You cannot stop it. Plus if your child absolutely adores Sophie the Giraffe then you have an even bigger problem. Considering this toy ranges from anything between R350 – R450 it’s not something you’ll be wanting to replace often.

However, this is a serious safety concern. If your child is chewing or sucking on a Sophie the Giraffe please check for mold. Children exposed to mold can have any one of these symptoms:

  • A stuffy or runny nose and sneezing
  • Sore throat
  • Coughing or wheezing
  • Red or itchy eyes
  • Skin rash
  • Headaches

Not only these symptoms but if you child is exposed to a lot of mold, he or she will be more likely than other babies to have allergies, asthma and other health problems.

How to tell if your Sophie the Giraffe is moldy? You may smell something musty coming from the hole of the toy. The only real way to know is by cutting the toy open.

Please check, and share with other Moms you know who have Sophie the Giraffe.

Read this: Ford Kuga Recalled After 46 Vehicles Burst Into Flames

Facebook Comments